Friday, June 7, 2013

Hi everyone! I just wanted to chat a bit about something not related to any particular book. First off, I'm heading back up to the mountain this summer for my second year of my MA at Bread Loaf School of English. I am super excited, both in general and specifically because I am taking a course called Writing for Children. We get to read Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are and a whole host of other kids books and just yay! Further academic pursuit of children's lit!

Second is a weird annoyance I'm having with Game of Thrones and people who haven't read the book. Normally I don't care but as everyone knows by now The Red Wedding happened this season and people who haven't read the book freaking out about it just seems weird or naive. Like people expect that main characters are here to stay and don't see GRRM cackling in a corner as he kills of more and more people over the course of the books. The book gives more of a lead up to the events of the wedding and while readers are still completely shocked, I think they have a better understanding of the overall political structure that led to it, as opposed to TV viewers who only have the plot established by the show to justify something utterly terrible. I don't know, just a weird reaction I've been having. My final words on it are go read the damn books and be devastated ahead of time with the rest of us.

Cheers everyone. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment