Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reviews in Brief

I've been on a bit of a reading spree and find myself unable to finish up a proper length review before I dive into the next book, so I thought I'd give you some quick snippets instead. All three of these novels are (unexpected) quality and deserve a mention.

Cox
This was my other pick at the Heathrow airport. I'm a rower and there is never any sort of fiction about the sport, so when my eye caught the title of this book I was thrilled. I was even more thrilled when I looked at the cover more closely and discovered that someone had managed to take all of the sexual innuendo that rowing generates and turn it into a romance novel. Cox does manage to escape most romance novel pitfalls (no bodice ripping or heath wandering here) but in the end it is a story that I loved because it was set in Oxford and about rowers. I doubt many other people would share my utter glee, but it's worth a peek at least. There are some yummy Olympic hopefuls, and enough reality to keep things grounded and moving along.

Falling in Love with English Boys
This novel takes the form of a blog written by a sixteen year old spending the summer in England. She's been dragged there by her mother and does not expect to enjoy herself much. However she manages to find her very own Prince William and the story takes the typical course of young adult romance. However, the saving grace lies in the narrator Cat's interest in things other than boys and lip gloss. Her story is paired with a diary of a young girl from the 19th century that Cat is supposedly reading. The two plots intertwine nicely and the inclusion of historical elements that show up in both stories is refreshing. Cat also finds herself spending time with a truly amazing group of friends, who are glamorous and intelligent, and best of all, willing to take Cat under their wings and be a good friend to her. I found myself wishing I could hang out with this group of girls too. There is a universal appeal to this novel that lends itself to recommendation, particularly to those who enjoy a good snarky young adult protagonist without actually reading a young adult novel.

Water for Elephants
I committed the cardinal sin of book lovers when it came to this novel, and saw the movie first. However, the book is amazing and much better than the film, although I will say the film does it justice. The author has taken the time to understand old time circuses and the detail of both sides of that world is gripping and powerful. I never wanted to put this book down, the characters are that well done and the story that compelling. Having the narrator switch back and forth from being an old man trapped in a nursing home to being his spry twenty three year old self works well, and my compassion for him builds as the novels goes on, so that by the end of the story you are gunning for him to make it, no matter his age. There is romance, intrigue and action, all gritty and intense and a must read for anyone who loves books.

Right, so there you go. Hope you find something excellent to read. Perhaps in exchange tell some people about this blog and start following it yourself!
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment