Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes: The Final Problem


I find it rather ironic that the first Sherlock Holmes story I read is his last, chronicling his death in the pursuit and capture of an exceptionally brilliant criminal mastermind. Perhaps this was the best place to start though, because I was struck by how emotional I became even in just a few short pages. I was shocked, dismayed, and deeply sad as Watson relayed the final events of Holmes’ life with that clinical English stiff upper lip attitude that belies the true feeling below the surface. But don’t think that I was bawling my eyes out here; I did actually enjoy the story for other reasons!
            Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has a distinct style that moves with a rapidity and wit that is highly appealing. I fall in love with Holmes through that quick style, his sarcasm and quips making me chuckle a bit under my breath while I read. Granted that also earns me some strange looks, but what can you do? The writing is straightforward, driven in equal parts by a strong plot and careful elaboration of characters. Every villain is so carefully created, subtly evil and more like Holmes than anyone would willingly admit. T
Then of course there is the friendship between Watson and Holmes, which is the original bromance. Holmes’ is forever antagonizing Watson, refusing to follow typical social order and yet operates with such brilliance and confidence that Watson can only just keep up. Watson in this way is like us, the reader. We figure things out together in the moment after Holmes has leaped several steps ahead of our reasoning. The two are sharp with each other but in this story especially the depth of their relationship is revealed beautifully. Neither could truly exist without the other, both as characters in the story and as human beings. A perfectly matched pair, but not perfect unto themselves, Doyle is sure to give his heroes enough human flaw as to make them relatable and realistic. That real aspect is perhaps the key of the entire story. There is a depth and breadth of detail, particularly in traveling logistics that allowed me to fall into Holmes’ world quite easily, despite the knowledge that no detective could ever be so capable and cunning.
So, a short review for a short story, but one that packs a deep emotional punch and perfectly demonstrates the world that Doyle has created, the one to which fans keep coming back to time and time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment