Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Once upon a time...

Once upon a time there was a young woman who realized that the only thing she really wanted to do in life was read. Yes, she was finishing college and applying for jobs in the new and frightening real world, but in her heart she knew that the only world she would ever need was the one her books provided her.

And now the movie trailer voice can be turned off, and we'll get to the heart of the matter. I love books. I love reading. I love writing. I've decided to review any book I read from here on in, throwing objectivity to the wind and simply responding to the novel at hand. Let's chuck academia for a bit and just have at it, yeah?

Oh, and about the title. It is my greatest dream to one day own a home with a wonderfully old fashioned library, complete with walls of books that can only be reached by those cool sliding ladders, and a massive leather chair next to a window that the sun pours through each afternoon. I'm convinced that one can do the most extraordinary thinking when seated in such a grand and comfortable spot, and thus my reviews will the musings from that hypothetical slice of the future.

I will readily admit that I favor fantasy and historical fantasy/fiction when choosing what I read for pleasure. I also love contemporary fiction and am a sad sucker from slightly angst ridden young adult novels that I really have no business reading at my age (but what the hell, they're fun). Classics are of course always up for grabs and once I'm back at school (Middlebury College)  the academic texts will filter their way in as well. My aim is to, as P.J. O'Rourke once said, "Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." So look forward to a plethora of reviews across all genre's, and perhaps you'll even give the books I'm reading a go as well. Welcome, and happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment